Monday, March 10, 2014

Review: The House of Hades by Rick Riordan

Hey everyone! 
I am aware that this book came out about 5 months ago but I am still posting a review because I just finished it. I know, I know, "Did it take you five months to finish the book?!?", well yes, it did.
I am going to explain why below and I am warning anybody that has not finished the book yet, there will be spoilers! 



Before I start, I want to say that you might not agree with my opinion and thats perfectly fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I would greatly appreciate it if you respected mine.

I am not a huge fan of this book. It took me a long time to finish, when I would normally read a book like this is a few days. I feel as though it drags on.

Part of the reason I don't like this book that much is the characters. I feel like it is difficult to connect with them because there are so many. We know their stories and background, but it doesn't create the same connection as I felt in the Percy Jackson series. I personally don't care about any of the characters besides the originals. I am especially not a fan of the Frank/Hazel/Leo triangle; although, I am glad that Leo gets over that when he goes to Calypso's island (that was one part of the book that I really love).

Basically, there are two parts to this story: Percy and Annabeth, and the other  characters. As I already established I am not a huge fan of any of the other characters, so I felt that their part of the story goes quite slow. I had to stop halfway through the book and I didn't pick it up again for a few months because I was so bored with the other characters.

 However, I did enjoy Percy and Annabeths part of the story. I found it very entertaining eventhough I was extremely pissed of they were in Tartarus in the first place. Throughout the whole series we hear all of these stories about Tartarus and we finally got to experience it! The one part I don't like is how Annabeth can always work her way out of things just by tricking people. I feel like we have seen this so many times in the series that its starting to make me a bit annoyed that it always works, but I guess they have to do what they can to survive.

I did enjoy, as much as I am not a fan of them, the development of the characters throughout the story. The development about Nico was crazy!!! I did not see that coming, and I never pegged Rick Riordan for making his characters gay, but people are suprising. I enjoy how he made everyone think that Nico loved Annabeth, when it was really Percy he was pining for. I also liked Leo's development, as I mentioned before, the part on Calypso's island is one of my favorite parts of the book. I used to really dislike Leo, but I have a more positive opinion towards him now. I think that Hazel's mist manipulation trick is a bit confusing, and I wish the explanation was more clear.

Lastly, the ending of the book is very calm. I was expecting the whole time that we would get another jaw dropping ending, but it was pretty calm. I enjoy that, and it is a nice change from the normal cliffhangers.

I hope you guys enjoyed this review! Make sure to leave a comment, and share this post if you want others to see it. 


~ The Green Bookshelf

No comments:

Post a Comment