Monday, March 3, 2014

Book and Movie Review: The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick



 
Hey everyone! I recently watched The Silver Linings Playbook about 2 weeks ago, and I read the book about the month ago. So, I decided to do a book and movie review of The Silver Linings Playbook and I will compare the two as well.

Book
Synopsis: This book is told by a man named Pat who just got out of a psychiatric hospital and moved back home to his parents house. Pat believes he was only in the hospital for a few months, little does he know that he was there for three years. Pat firmly believes that he will be reunited with his wife Nikki and he wants to prove to her that he is a changed man. This book takes the reader on Pat's troubling and emotional, yet interesting journey.

My Review
To begin, I am a huge fan of this book. I read it in one sitting and it was one of those books that after I finished it I could not read anything else because I felt like nothing else compared. This book was phenomenal. T The characters are very refreshing. I enjoyed the storyline. Tiffany and Pat show that people aren't perfect. We are troubled, confused, and delusional. I loved Pat's relationships, it was interesting to see how he develops his feelings towards everyone surrounding him. Overall, this was a great book and I would highly recommend it to everyone. I would give this a 9/10.

 
Movie
I watched this movie a few weeks ago, and, having already read the book, I knew what to expect. I think that this movie stayed very true to the book. The storyline was, for the most part, the same. However, they did cut out some parts or make them a bit more brief. Of course, this is completely understandable for a book to movie adaptation. I enjoyed all of the castings. Jennifer Lawrence, who plays Tiffany, was very convincing and played the role perfectly. I don't think there could have been a better choice. Bradley Cooper did a great job as well. He conveyed most of the emotions that I felt in the book. The one thing I did not like about the movie was one of the ending scenes. if you haven't seen the movie or read the book I would recommend not reading the rest of this. The scene I am discussing is when Nikki shows up at the dance performance. I felt like they should not have added this in, it made Pat's letters to Nikki seem pointless because I felt like the whole point of the letters is so that Pat does not end up seeing Nikki in the end. I preferred the closure Pat receives in the end of the book over the movie.
 
In summation, I think the movie was good; however, I prefer the book. I would give the movie a 7.5/10.
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this review! Leave your comments and suggestions on what else you want me to review below.


No comments:

Post a Comment